Roundup (Glyphosate) Cancer Cases: Key Documents & Analysis
More than 13,000 people have filed suit against Monsanto Company (now Bayer) alleging that exposure to Roundup herbicide caused them or their loved ones to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and that Monsanto covered up the risks. As part of the discovery process, Monsanto has had to turn over millions of pages of its internal records. We are posting these Monsanto Papers and other court records here.
More than 1100 lawsuits are pending in U.S. District Court in San Francisco and have been combined for handling as multidistrict litigation (MDL) under Chhabria. The first federal trial, the case of Edwin Hardeman V. Monsanto, was bifurcated at the request of Monsanto, limiting evidence jurors heard during a first phase to causation only. On March 19 a unanimous jury decision handed a first-round victory to Hardeman, as the six jury members found that Hardeman’s exposure to Roundup was a “substantial factor” in causing his non-Hodgkin lymphoma. On March 27, the jury returned a verdict of approximately $80 million, including punitive damages of $75 million. Court / discovery documents are posted here for Edwin Hardeman V. Monsanto.
Read internal Monsanto documents regarding the company’s ghostwriting of an important paper published in the year 2000, and how the company used that “independent” scientific literature to promote and defend its herbicides.
Follow trial updates in our RoundupTrial Tracker.
Click here for additional documents pertaining to combined MDL cases
STATE COURT – Thousands of plaintiffs have made similar claims against Monsanto in state courts. The first trial in the Roundup litigation concluded on Aug. 10, 2018 with the jury ruling that Monsanto’s weedkiller was a substantial contributing factor in causing DeWayne “Lee” Johnson’s cancer, and ordering Monsanto to pay $289.25 million in damages, including $250 million in punitive damages. The judge reduced the punitive damages to $39 million in an order dated Oct. 22, 2018 which put the total verdict at approximately $78 million. Monsanto has appealed, seeking to throw out the judgment, while Johnson has cross appealed, seeking to reinstate the jury award. The appeal is filed in the California State Court of Appeals, case number A155940.
The most recent trial was Pilliod V. Monsanto. On May 13, 2019, jurors returned a verdict awarding Alva and Alberta Pilliod $2 billion in punitive damages and $55 million in compensatory damages. Pilliod v. Monsanto is the first case in the California Roundup Judicial Council Coordination Proceedings (JCCP) and the third Roundup cancer case to proceed to trial. See details at this link.
See details for other cases:
- DeWayne Johnson v. Monsanto: San Francisco County Superior Court /California State Court of Appeals
- Judicial Council Coordination Proceeding (JCCP): Alameda County Superior Court – California
- Other Upcoming Monsanto Trial Dates
August 19, 2019 St. Louis County Court – Gordon v. Monsanto
September 9, 2019 – St. Louis County Court – 2 plaintiffs Lamb & Cohen v. Monsanto
October 15, 2019 St. Louis – Winston v. Monsanto
January 21, 2020 St. Louis City Court – Wade v. Monsanto
February 10, 2020 U.S. District Court, San Francisco – Stevick v. Monsanto, 3:16-cv-2341) Jury selection will begin on February 5, 2020.
- Postponed – Montana 18th Judicial District Court Gallatin County – Cazier v. Monsanto
Federal Court/Discovery Documents
- Conditional Transfer Order June 6, 2019.pdf (06.06.19)
- Pretrial order tentative remand.pdf (05.21.19)
- Conditional Transfer Order May 9, 2019.pdf (05.09.19)
- Monsanto Emails about Intertek Agreements with Subcontractors (05.05.19)
- Draft Manuscript Glyphosate Paper with Saltmiras’ Track Changes Show Him as Co-Author (05.05.19)
- Attachment from Donna Farmer Email: Mladinic et al. Glyphosate Study (05.05.19)
- Ghostwriting – Goldstein Asks if “We Have a Comment We Want Him to Make” (05.05.19)
- Ghostwriting - Monsanto Provides Unsigned Letter for Cohen to Use for Prop 65 Decision (05.05.19)
- Ghostwriting – Goldstein and Cohen Correspond Re: Letter on Prop 65 Decision (05.05.19)
- Monsanto Email with Names for Indonesia International Speaker Request (05.05.19)
State Court Documents
Pilliod, et al. v. Monsanto et al.
- Trial Transcript Pilliod Verdict.pdf (05.13.19)
- Trial Transcript Pilliod May 9, 2019.pdf (05.09.19)
- Pilliods-JURY-INSTRUCTIONS-without-citations.pdf (05.08.19)
- Pilliod-Day-Twenty-5-7-2019.pdf (05.08.19)
- Alva-Pilliod-VERDICT-FORM.pdf (05.08.19)
- Alberta-Pilliod-VERDICT-FORM.pdf (05.08.19)
- Trial Transcript Closing Arguments Pilliod.pdf (05.08.19)
- Monsanto_Company's_Motion_To_Exclude_Improper_Closing_Argument_20190507093417.pdf (05.07.19)
- Internal Monsanto emails re white house July 2018 (05.07.19)
- plaintiff opposition to Monsanto request for judicial notice of EPA 2019 glyphosate report (05.07.19)
Reporting & Analysis
- Roundup Trial Tracker blog, by Carey Gillam (USRTK) (frequently updated)
- Bayer’s Shady PR Firms: The “Monsanto File” scandal and more revelations about PR tactics (USRTK) (5.21.19)
- Ticking time bomb? Cancer lawsuits mount for Monsanto over glyphosate (France 24 TV) (5.14.19)
- The EPA is meant to protect us. The Monsanto trials suggest it isn’t doing that (The Guardian) (5.7.19)
- Who’s paying for Monsanto’s crimes? We are (The Guardian) (3.30.19)
- Jury finding upends Bayer’s Roundup defense strategy: experts (Bloomberg) (3.20.19)
- Monsanto: Roundup substantial factor in man’s cancer, jury finds in key verdict (The Guardian) (3.19.19)
- Des études sur le glyphosate révisées secrètement par Monsanto (ICI.Radio-Canada.ca) (2.21.19)
- Glyphosate : comment Monsanto mène sa guerre médiatique, Par Stéphane Foucart et Stéphane Horel (Le Monde) (1.31.19)
- Bayer Pursued Monsanto Despite Weedkiller Suits and Executive Concerns, by Ruth Bender (WSJ) (11.25.2018)
- ‘Troubling allegations’ prompt Health Canada review of studies used to approve popular weed-killer, by Gil Shochat (CBC) (11.11.18)
- ‘The World is Against Them’: New Era of Cancer Lawsuits Threaten Monsanto, By Sam Levin and Carey Gillam (Guardian)(10.8.18)
- The Monsanto Papers, By Stephanie March (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (10.8.18)
- Monsanto’s Role In Roundup Safety Study is Corrected by Journal, By Joel Rosenblatt, Peter Waldman and Lydia Mulvany (Bloomberg) (9.26.18)
- A Story Behind the Monsanto Cancer Trial — Journal Sits on Retraction, By Carey Gillam and Nathan Donley (Environmental Health News) (8.22.18)
- Les “Monsanto Papers”, à la base de la controverse sur le glyphosate, by Stéphane Foucart (Le Monde) (8.11.18)