Roundup (Glyphosate) Cancer Cases: Key Documents & Analysis
More than 11,000 people have filed suit against Monsanto Company (now Bayer) alleging that exposure to Roundup herbicide caused them or their loved ones to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and that Monsanto covered up the risks. As part of the discovery process, Monsanto has had to turn over millions of pages of its internal records. We are posting these Monsanto Papers as they become available here.
More than 800 lawsuits are pending in U.S. District Court in San Francisco. The cases have been combined for handling as multidistrict litigation (MDL) under Judge Vince Chhabria. The lead case is 3:16-md-02741-VC and the first trial, the case of Edwin Hardeman V. Monsanto, began Feb. 25, 2019. The judge approved a motion by Monsanto to bifurcate the trial, limiting evidence jurors heard during a first phase to causation only. On March 19 a unanimous jury decision handed a first-round victory to Hardeman, as the six jury members found that Hardeman’s exposure to Roundup was a “substantial factor” in causing his non-Hodgkin lymphoma. On March 27, the jury returned a verdict of approximately $80 million, including punitive damages of $75 million.
Read internal Monsanto documents regarding the company’s ghostwriting of an important paper published in the year 2000, and how the company used that “independent” scientific literature to promote and defend its herbicides.
Follow trial updates in our RoundupTrial Tracker.
Court / discovery documents are posted here: Edwin Hardeman V. Monsanto
Click here for additional documents pertaining to combined MDL cases
STATE COURT – Thousands of plaintiffs have made similar claims against Monsanto in state courts. The first trial in the Roundup litigation concluded on Aug. 10 with the jury ruling that Monsanto’s weedkiller was a substantial contributing factor in causing DeWayne “Lee” Johnson’s cancer, and ordering Monsanto to pay $289.25 million in damages, including $250 million in punitive damages. The judge reduced the punitive damages to $39 million in an order dated Oct. 22, 2018 which put the total verdict at approximately $78 million. Monsanto declared it would appeal and Johnson has cross appealed, seeking to reinstate the jury award.The appeal is filed in the California State Court of Appeals, case number A155940. Appellant’s opening brief due April 22, 2019.
The current case in trial is Pilliod V. Monsanto. Opening statements were delivered March 28, 2019, in Alameda County Superior Court before Judge Winifred Smith. Attorneys for the plaintiffs anticipate the trial will last about a month. Pilliod v. Monsanto is the first case in the California Roundup Judicial Council Coordination Proceedings (JCCP) and the third Roundup cancer case to proceed to trial. See details at this link.
See details for other cases:
- DeWayne Johnson v. Monsanto: San Francisco County Superior Court /California State Court of Appeals
- Judicial Council Coordination Proceeding (JCCP): Alameda County Superior Court – California
- Other Upcoming Monsanto Trial Dates
May 20, 2019 Federal Court, San Francisco – Stevick v. Monsanto 3:16-cv-02341-VC
August 29, 2019 St. Louis County Court – Gordon v. MonsantoJune 3, 2019 St. Louis City Court – Hall v. Monsanto
September 9, 2019 – St. Louis County Court – 4 plaintiffs
October 15, 2019 St. Louis County Court – Winston v. Monsanto
October 28, 2019 Montana 18th Judicial District Court Gallatin County – Cazier v. Monsanto
January 21, 2020 St. Louis City Court – Wade v. Monsanto
Federal Court/Discovery Documents
- Monsanto works with Henry Miller on article for Forbes to attack Seralini.pdf (04.25.19)
- Draft of Henry Miller Forbes article on Seralini edited by Monsanto.pdf (04.25.19)
- Ghostwriting- Monsanto's David Saltmiras discussing edits to Kier and Kirkland paper 2012.pdf (04.25.19)
- Monsanto Email Todd Rands Update on IARC Senate Investigation.pdf (04.25.19)
- Combatting Anti Glyphosate Campaign in Germany.pdf (04.25.19)
- Email Greim conflict of interest.pdf (04.25.19)
- Monsanto's Eric Sachs to Peter Raven on Seralini retraction (04.25.19)
- Monsanto email chain on Seralini (04.25.19)
- Monsanto email string re glyphosate task force manuscript with David Saltmiras as consultant.pdf (04.25.19)
- Pamela Mink seeks Monsanto edits and review for her paper.pdf (04.25.19)
State Court Documents
Pilliod, et al. v. Monsanto et al.
- Trial-Transcript-Pilliod-April-23-2019.pdf (04.23.19)
- Trial Transcript Pilliod April 22, 2019.pdf (04.22.19)
- Trial Transcript Pilliod testimony april 18, 2019.pdf (04.18.19)
- Monsanto Jan 2015 email re EPA and IARC.pdf (04.17.19)
- Trial Transcript April 17, 2019.pdf (04.17.19)
- Mark-Martens-Surfactant-Power-Point.pdf (04.16.19)
- Bill Heydens email on post-IARC work to support glyphosate.pdf (04.16.19)
- Trial Transcript April 16, 2019.pdf (04.16.19)
- Monsanto email plan to publish AHS.pdf (04.16.19)
- Bill Heydens on surfactants promoting tumors in skin study.pdf (04.16.19)
Reporting & Analysis
- Roundup Trial Tracker blog, by Carey Gillam (USRTK) (frequently updated)
- Jury finding upends Bayer’s Roundup defense strategy: experts (Bloomberg) (3.20.19)
- Monsanto: Roundup substantial factor in man’s cancer, jury finds in key verdict (The Guardian) (3.19.19)
- Des études sur le glyphosate révisées secrètement par Monsanto (ICI.Radio-Canada.ca) (2.21.19)
- Glyphosate : comment Monsanto mène sa guerre médiatique, Par Stéphane Foucart et Stéphane Horel (Le Monde) (1.31.19)
- Bayer Pursued Monsanto Despite Weedkiller Suits and Executive Concerns, by Ruth Bender (WSJ) (11.25.2018)
- ‘Troubling allegations’ prompt Health Canada review of studies used to approve popular weed-killer, by Gil Shochat (CBC) (11.11.18)
- ‘The World is Against Them’: New Era of Cancer Lawsuits Threaten Monsanto, By Sam Levin and Carey Gillam (Guardian)(10.8.18)
- The Monsanto Papers, By Stephanie March (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (10.8.18)
- Monsanto’s Role In Roundup Safety Study is Corrected by Journal, By Joel Rosenblatt, Peter Waldman and Lydia Mulvany (Bloomberg) (9.26.18)
- A Story Behind the Monsanto Cancer Trial — Journal Sits on Retraction, By Carey Gillam and Nathan Donley (Environmental Health News) (8.22.18)
- Les “Monsanto Papers”, à la base de la controverse sur le glyphosate, by Stéphane Foucart (Le Monde) (8.11.18)